"I've been letting my mind wonder at night. My thoughts should have a curfew." Am Kidd

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Sound of Snow


(Image Source: Pinterest)


"I pray this Winter be gentle and kind--a season of rest from the wheel of the mind"- John Geddes

Every season has a sound. Spring is birdsong. Windows that were shut for months creak as they are opened. The humming vacuum cleaner, the click of pruning shears. It's like yawning when waking up from a deep slumber. Summer is just loud. Ice cream trucks, children playing, the blasting radio from a passing car, people walking, dogs barking.  Autumn is quieter, but there are still some distinct sounds: leaf blowers, the swish of a rake, rustling leaves moved by gusty winds. The voices of passing "trick o'treaters" on Halloween Day.

Winter arrives bringing a sign that reads: "Silence spoken here." Everything is muffled, everyday sounds crash against tightly closed windows but when snow falls there is a certain sound. It's the sound of nothing. The sound of a city pushed by Nature to stop  and seek shelter. The world as we know it stands still. It is such a night here. As I stand by my window I feel my soul relax and close within itself and I am thinking, this is good and just for a while, I will let myself go. I will stand here and the only sound I'll hear is the beating of my heart.




4 comments:

  1. dear Alina, as ever your writing is very atmospheric. I love the lull if winter, the chance to rest and recharge ourselves in body as well as in spirit. Nothing excites me more than waking to the hush of snow and watching my dog's sheer delight when I open the door. I love the blue light reflected from the snow and the creak of boots on the unbroken surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love your posts, my friend. I never thought too much about the noises that each season brings. I am very aware of them at Christmas time with the hustle and bustle of it all and the sound of peaceful music that is played, but I didn't think too much about the sounds of the seasons. It's so true, and I will have to pay more attention to that. Your pictures always make me smile too.

    I was wondering if you are back to blogging now, as I want to put you on our side bar. Your blog lifts my spirits in more ways than I can say.

    Love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs Alina....wowness..what a super-dreamy, poetic post of beauty..such gorgeous writing..absolutely enchanting..you have captivated my soul and sparked it to life with your inspiring words and thoughts...pure awesomeness!
    Love the image too..
    Wishing you bliss..magic and sparkles all around you
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alina,
    I know what you mean about old books. I love the ones that are used and have the old book smell, but for some reason it would be hard to make notes in them even when they belong to us. As I was telling Jess, I think it's because they have so much history and have been around for many years. Somehow, the paperbacks aren't as treasured to me as the hardcover ones.

    I hope you are enjoying your days, my friend.

    love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Albert Schweitzer said "In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit" I thank you all!